Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Modding the DirectStylus slot back into the Shield K1

My first post on xda-devs after a long time away.
So as you might have guessed by the title, I own the Nvidia Shield K1. Bought it used a few weeks back and wanted the stylus. Since it's apparently made from Unobtainium, that took a few weeks.
After receiving it and opening my Shield K1 (can be done using a fingernail, I was pleasantly suprised) I found the original Stylus slot still in there. It seems Nvidia only changed the exterior Mold and closed the Stylus Slot that way.
I'll attach a few pictures that shows the process and final look. The pen fits snugly inside and doesn't fall out (even if I run carrying the tablet in my hand).
The only thing is: The tablet doesn't detect the removal of the stylus. That is somewhat expected but comparing pictures from iFixit with my tablet, I can't find the sensor that's supposed to be in the original Shield Tablet. If someone owns the original Pyro and has opened / wants to open it, could you please send me detailed pictures of the stylus slot? If you know where the sensor is, even better. Perfect would be if you could send me logs of the events that are triggered on stylus removal (should be obtainable via adb / adb shell / logcat, no root needed).

Enough talk, time for pictures.

Open the tablet starting from the MicroSD slot (a credit card, fingernail or something like that works great)
Opening the Shield


File the metal under the cable down so you have enough slack and glue it down. In the original Shield it's done with tape, I used some crazy glue.
filing the case and glueing the cable


Remove some material from the back cover. I used some small files to do all this. Doesn't take much effort since it's all plastic.
Modding the back cover


Final Result of my mod. Works great. The Stylus is held firmly in there and I can remove it easily
Result


Thanks in advance for any feedback on this :)


from xda-developers http://ift.tt/29bpJCa
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment