Friday, July 29, 2016

Trying to recover photos on soft-bricked phone

Hi all,

This is my first post here, I'll try to include everything but please let me know if I am missing any info. I'm using Windows 10, my phone is using Stock ROM 6.0.1, carrier unlocked from Telus to Rogers but bootloader shows device is Locked.

TLDR: I'm trying to recover the photos from my soft-bricked phone before doing a factory reset. I've tried to manually flash the firmware with fastboot by following the steps in service.xml, but the commands all appear to return OKAY without errors but there's no change in the phone's behaviour.

More Info: I've spent the last 2 days reading up on here and elsewhere online to learn as much as I can. I am honestly not sure what caused it the soft-brick. I was using my phone normally yesterday morning when it froze while browsing Facebook, so I tried to power it down, but I got caught in a bootloop and it wouldn't go past the logo screen. It's part of my morning routine to run updates, and I often (though not yesterday) transfer files to/from the phone through a USB cable, so could it be an internal memory problem? Other possibilities, while I was careful ultimately I did download an apk for Pokemon Go before it was released in my country, and I did also download a battery saving app, so there's risks from both of those but the timing seems wrong...

I can get into bootloader and recovery mode, but not factory mode. Wiping the cache partition did not help. The only way to power the phone down is from bootloader, otherwise the phone goes straight to the logo screen.

I've installed ADB/Fastboot using the 15 Second ADB Installer here, and believe I have all of the correct drivers from the WinDroid install. However I did not enable USB Debugging before this happened, so the only way I can get ADB to see the devices is to go to "Apply update from ADB" in recovery mode, but running "adb devices" brings the phone up as sideload. If I'm in bootloader, "fastboot devices" sees it, "adb devices" comes back empty.

I used the file XT1563_LUX_RETCA-ROGERS_6.0.1_MPD24.107-52_cid14_subsidy-RGRCA_CFC.xml.zip from the File Factory folder, and it looks right according to the software version in the .xml files, but I'm still new to this and I'm not sure if my best guess is educated enough.

In general I'm not too squeamish about voiding the warranty and don't care about losing my apps, it's the photos that I really do not want to lose (shame on me for not backing those up!). I'm wondering if there's a way to get my photos back before unlocking or doing a factory reset, but if there's a reliable recovery software I can use after the fact I may have to bite the bullet.

TIA for any help.


from xda-developers http://ift.tt/2axJAeu
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment